Sunday, April 25, 2010

Sunday greeting

Tulip time festival is almost here so I thought you would enjoy some pictures  from last year's festival.

 We've had some nice warm weather the past few weeks which has brought the tulips into full bloom. The sponsors of this year's festival are afraid the tulips will not be at their peak when festival time arrives ..but more on the way out with many drooping and wilting. They are hoping for cooler weather


                               
                                      
                                       Children of all ages take part in the parade

Holland is about twenty-five miles from my place. many times we have went to see the tulips and the parade with the dutch dancers. A large tulip farm is close , so visitors can tour the fields and buy tulip bulbs.



 So many different colors of tulips. Residents of Holland are encouraged to plant tulips ,
therefore many streets are lined with beautiful tulips


Hundreds of students from area high schools plus many more alumni dancers perform a Klompen Dance (or Dutch Dance to locals) each evening during the Tulip Festival (Tulip Time) in Holland, Michigan.
They dress is authentic (well, that's debatable) dutch costumes and dance an authentic (even more debatable) klompen dance.

Another place to visit in Holland is:
Windmill Island Gardens
A beautiful oasis on the edge of downtown Holland, Windmill Island features a 248 year old working Dutch windmill "De Zwaan" (meaning graceful bird). The windmill, which reaches 125 feet from the ground to the top of the blades, towers over 36 acres of manicured gardens, dikes, canals and picnic areas.

Or you can tour the dutch village which has shops, lots of demonstrations,petting zoo,carousel ride and good food

  Hope you will have a chance some day to visit this town and attend their festival.
    Blessing to all of you today


4 comments:

  1. What beautiful photos! I adore tulips! I only have one blooming in my garden this year; the rest seem to have died off. Happy Spring, Elaine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! They are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just checking your blog out from Sharons. I haven't been to the Tulip Festival since our children were little. I'm going to have to see if hubby would like to go this weekend. Isn't it crazy the weather we are having here - I had actually wondered how well the festival would be with spring coming on so early. My tulips and daffadils are already come and gone :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Elaine
    I read in you blog that you visited Dutch Dancing. I am from Holland Europe and I collect everything that has to do with our national symbol the Wooden Shoe, or as we say Klompen. I heard that some dancers break their shoes now and then. I am looking for photos of that. Do you have such photo(s)?
    You could send them maybe to my emailadress vanloenenannemarie@yahoo.com

    Thanks!

    Kind reghards

    Annemarie

    ReplyDelete